E2compr

From: Ville Herva (vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 03:43:45 EST

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 06:10:11PM -0400, you [Mike A. Harris] claimed:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Ville Herva wrote:
>
> >Sadly, AFAIK nobody is doing e2compr port to 2.3/2.4. The 2.2 e2compr is
> >very stable and very usable (that's at least my experience.) There was a
> >race that showed up when using samba, but that also fixed now (thanks to
> >Peter Moulder).
> >
> >The e2compr support in e2fsprogs is still a separate patch, available at
> >the same place as the e2compr kernel patch.
>
> I think you are incorrect here. If I'm not mistaken, Riley
> Williams is the maintainer of e2compr now. It was discussed not
> long ago.

Incorrect in what respect? Riley Williams and Peter Moulder are the
maintainers (as I mentioned Peter just lately fixed a long standing bug so
e2compr is not completely unmaintained), but that doesn't mean anyone is
porting it to 2.4. I personally haven't seen any messages or alpha patches
that would indicate the work is in progress. Of course that doesn't mean
anything either.

I do recall there was some discussion about this at l-k - by Stephen
Tweetie and Riley Williams, if I recall correctly - but I think it didn't
catch wind. It won't be a trivial task due to the buffer cache changes in
2.4 etc. I know I'm not up to it ;) (I stared at the e2compr code long
enough (trying to fix the mentioned race) to know I will not understand
the internals without a big help from someone.

-- v --

v@iki.fi