Re: 2.2.16 smbfs buggy

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 06:38:27 EST

On 19 Jul 2000, Sascha Ziemann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the smbfs of the Linux 2.2.16 kernel. I import
> some shares from a NT 4 system. When I copy some files to the mounted
> directory, Linux loses some files. For example: I copy 6 files to the
> NT system and after this there are only 2 files displayed by ls. But

What are the files called and what command do you use?
I can only see 3 filenames it complains about ...

Is "Ne03:" a valid filename on ntfs/vfat? I guess it must be since it
creates the files. Or is that output garbage?

> Does anybody know what goes wrong and how I can fix it? Is it
> possible to tell smbfs to turn off the directory cache?

The following change should make the directory cache work with NT (and
also make it almost disappear).

dir.c:smb_readdir
- if (!cachep->valid ||
- (cachep->mtime != dentry->d_inode->i_mtime &&
- filp->f_pos == 2))
+ if (!cachep->valid || filp->f_pos == 2)

I don't have a patch for 2.2.16, if you are not afraid of testing
pre-versions I have this patch vs 2.2.17-pre11 (pre12&pre13 should be ok
with this too).

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-2.2.17-pre11.patch

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

/Urban