Re: F*ck*ng japanese garbage postings and possible HACK.

From: Derek Martin (derek@cerberus.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 08:22:56 EST

Today, James Riden gleaned this insight:

> Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> writes:
> > On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> >
> > > Why not just get the list admin to require posters to be subscribed?? lkml
> > > is one of the most backwards mailing lists I've ever been on, and AFAIK
> > > anyone can spam it without being subscribed (in which case they could
> > > easily be unsubscribed and therefore blocked).
> >
> > Not everyone has a mail box that can suck up all the dumps.
> > The read stuff on kernelnotes or linuxhq and then reply.
> > Do you really want to kill passive contributions?
>
> I agree - I can cope with it on this account, but the thought of
> reading from eg. a hotmail account makes my eyes water.

I believe a majordomo list can allow you to subscribe an address that is
allowed to post, but does NOT recieve copies of the posted messages. I'm
pretty sure one of the LUG lists I'm on is set up to allow that, for this
very reason. It does seem like this might not be a bad idea...