Re: Kernel 2.2.14 OOM killer strikes.

From: Claudio Martins (mart@vega.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 11:10:43 EST

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Olaf Titz wrote:

> I wonder what happened of the AIX approach: define a new signal (they
> called it SIGDANGER AFAIK), ignored by default, and send this signal
> to _all_ processes a few seconds before starting to SIGKILL processes.
>
> This moves the policy completely to user space (i.e. The Right Thing).
> You can either have a daemon listening to this signal and deciding by
> configuration what and how to kill, or you can implement a handler for
> graceful exit in suitable applications, or both. Make the "few
> seconds" tunable by sysctl and all is perfect. You can even implement

 The right thing? I don't think so. This doesn't fix anything. Processes
will still have to exit! How can this be tolerated in a multiuser
environement? Someone starts a memory hog process and the other
users in the system read in their terminal:

got SIGDANGER signal: exiting...

IMO you're only disguising the problem with this aproach, not fixing it.

Per user resource accounting is surely the right thing, and has been
proven to work on other UNIX systems.

Claudio Martins