Re: Kernel 2.2.14 OOM killer strikes.

From: Sam Tregar (sam@tregar.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 02:01:55 EST

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> That is the problem I believe, is that the kernel needs to try and
> determine using logic which process is the REAL bad guy. Next to
> impossible...

Perhaps I'm naive, but it doesn't seem all that hard in the average
case. If the kernel had access to some sort of historical
memory-usage data then it could do some simple analysis in OOM. I
imagine it would be pretty easy to spot your run-of-the-mill infinite-loop
allocator with a few seconds of data at hand.

If this idea is to be persued there are two questions - where/how to
gather the necessary historical traces and what analysis to perform to
come up with the culprit most of the time.

Good idea? Suitable for a first kernel project?

-sam