Re: [patch] drivers/net/3c59x.c

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 13:07:52 EST

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 01:34:15PM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I kept the pci driver's name as "3c575_cb" in attempt to prevent this
> sort of thing, but it appears that fundamental information which the
> PCMCIA package needs has been removed from 2.4.

Yes, it is a hot plug API issue: the mechanism for passing the device
name to user space got broken.

> > Jul 5 16:46:22 xxx kernel: eth0: 3Com PCI 3c575 Boomerang CardBus at 0x1400, <3>eth0: Cannot reserve I/O resource 0x80 @ 0x1400, aborting
>
> Oh. What does /proc/ioports have to say about 0x1400-0x147f?

The PCMCIA base layer wants to allocate all the IO resources for the
card before the driver gets control, to avoid races between when the
resources are assigned and when the driver might get around to marking
them as in-use. The best thing is to not check the exit status of
request_region().

-- Dave