Re: Autofs: Need UID & VFS hook, security notice

From: Frank van Maarseveen (fvm@tasking.nl)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 04:06:57 EST

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 12:30:47PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> "Christopher W. Curtis" wrote:
> > And I don't understand how you can determine 'console'. All my linux
> > boxes have 6 consoles, and there are often a few different users on each
> > of them.
> >

> Your boxes don't have 6 consoles. They might have 6 terminals attached
> to them, but there is ever only one console.
I think the idea is that (at least) every user who is logged in "directly"
should have access to the floppy. "directly" means that the user can
practically kick the hardware, pull a plug or do other disturbing
things. Also, multiheaded boxes should not be forgotten. Giving access
could be done using a capability for attached hardware. The capability
would have to be setup by login.

devfs could play an interesting trick (I did a similar suggection in an
USB discussion on l-k): devfs could calculate the owner of a device based
on the set of capabilities: any process could appear to be the owner of
the floppy device irrespective of its uid once it has the capability for
attached hardware. Grabbing a device to prevent others from playing
with it could be done with chmod, e.g. every capable process sees it
with mode 0666 and it's own uid. chmod 600 could have the effect that
the owner "freezes" and the mode is set as specified. Making it shared
again is done by chmod 666.

--
Frank