Re: BK performance tip (22x faster)

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 16:40:17 EST

Larry McVoy writes:

> This is copied to the Linux kernel list in hopes that Linus & Co will
> consider changing the default to 32K or better.
[...]
> I tracked it down to inodes. BK is using more inodes, it has one
> for the s.file, one for the checked out file (so far same as diff),
> and then one more for the p.file. For a kernel tree, that is 16482
> entries which is just over the kernel default of 16384. And you
> need some for directories and anything else you are doing.
>
> The upshot of this is that after bumping up the number of inodes like so
>
> # echo 65536 > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max
>
> and then running the "bk -r diffs" command again (twice to fill the inode
> cache), the running time dropped to less than 4 seconds down from 90,
> a 22x performance improvement.

I had to bump the limit on a machine here to 64k inodes, because
someone was generating large numbers of small files. So I'd prefer
a higher limit as well. Unfortunately, inodes are hugely bloated
(taking at least 396 bytes), so 64k inodes would take up nearly 25 MiB
of RAM! We probably shouldn't do that by default.

However, I note that 2.3.99 and later don't have this control file
anyway. Perhaps it's dynamic now?

Hopefully one day someone will reduce the inode bloat.

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca