features and patch fights fixable by menuconfig or something like?

From: Britton (fsblk@aurora.uaf.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 18:25:19 EST

First: I know little about kernel internals.

There have been two big arguments in a row now about spiffy new kernel
features and when/whether they should be integrated. It seems to me that
the argument could be sidestepped nicely by distributing patches with the
kernel and a little bit of work on menuconfig to allow users to easily use
patches if they want (with big warning or whatever).

Selfish motivation: I am highly interested in the low latency patch, but I
didn't even know it existed until the argument here. I'm not clueless (in
fact I am just finishing up my own humble audio app which does the
buffered playing recording that has been discussed, this does indeed work
beautifully on stock linux), but I simply havn't had time to poke around
and investigate/play with kernel patches. I think there are lots of users
like me.

If these things could be menuconfig options, then we could let natural
selection determine which ones have the highest maintainability/user
demand indexes, without any penalty to maintainers of the core kernel.

On the other hand, if the 'band-aid' problem mentioned applies to user
feature addiction as well as just the unlikelyhood of a patch ever being
backed out once its welded in, I guess this won't work.

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."