Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: Matthew Hawkins (matthew@topic.com.au)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 01:16:20 EST

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@redhat.com> wrote:
> It IS too late to add features over and above what we already have in
> the source tree. That's why we've got a substantial wish-list of
> experimental stuff to explore for the 2.5 VM in addition to the fixes
> needed for 2.4.

Perhaps the development model could shift to one where as small portions
of the kernel get fixed, its backported to the current stable series.
I realise large structural changes could prevent this in a lot of cases,
but it'd be neat if the 2.4 VM was "good enough" and got replaced later
down the track with the rearchitected version. This would save people
like Rik, Juan, Andrea, et al spending their time trying to fix
something that's going to be ripped to pieces later on anyhow, leaving
them more time to work on the better implementation.

This is my interpretation of what Linus was aiming at for the current
development cycle all those months ago.

*clink**clink*

--
Matt