Re: [patch] forward port of 16 bit nls (vfat, ntfs, ncpfs,

From: Urban Widmark (urban@svenskatest.se)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 16:02:20 EST

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:

> Yes. So that I could remove tests of 'utf8' in fs/ncpfs/ioctl.c... Pardon
> my ignorance, but I know no method to deliver utf8 encoded filename
> to userspace, except doing encoding with utf8_mbtowc/_wctomb... :-( If this
> could be handled with nls_table, I could remove some ifs from my code

Ah. Attached is a 2.4 version of a utf8 nls table I did for use in smbfs.
I haven't tested this 2.4 version (it compiles, no idea if it loads), but
the 2.2 version seems to work fine in my tests. This is a wrapper around
utf8_wctomb/utf8_mbtowc to give it the same interface as the nls_table.

Put it in fs/nls and add it to the Makefile.

Btw, your code isn't the only to have special cases for utf8 (no, wait,
utf8 is the standard, special cases for everything else :) so maybe this
can be included eventually.

/Urban