Riel x ClassZone (late) results

From: Miguel Freitas (mfreitas@mls.com.br)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 17:36:02 EST

   Ok, I know this is a little late, these are results for test1-ac22
Riel and ClassZone, but they may be of some use...(Alan asked to test VM
ideas in real world use and this is a very real for me)

   First, simple and dirty test: time to load Netscape and
gnome-terminal with mem=16M. This is a Celeron 566, and the two kernels
have the same configuration. The test is: boot the machine in runlevel
5, logon, netscape and gnome-terminal.
   There is also information for the same test on RedHat 6.2 stock
kernel (mem=16M), just for comparition. But the compile configuration is
a lot different and kernel 2.2.14 isn't using the UDMA features from VIA
chipset.

[times in min:sec]

2.4.0-test1-ac22-Riel
Time to load Netscape = 1:40, Time to load gnome-terminal = 0:24

2.4.0-test1-ac22-ClassZone
Time to load Netscape = 1:08, Time to load gnome-terminal = 0:20

2.2.14-5.0
Time to load Netscape = 0:40, Time to load gnome-terminal = 0:13

     ClassZone is much better than Riel for low memory machines (I tried
the same with mem=24M with similar results), but neither one could beat
2.2.14. [WHY??]

     In the second test I use all my memory (192M) uncompressing (rar) a
cd iso image with 650M. I also used binchunk to convert a 300M image
from bin to iso (binchunk output file was in a different drive than rar
output).

2.4.0-test1-ac22-Riel
UnRar 650M = 3:07, binchunk 300M = 0:40
UnRar+binchunk (at the same time) = 4:41

2.4.0-test1-ac22-ClassZone
UnRar 650M = 3:06, binchunk 300M = 0:40
UnRar+binchunk (at the same time) = 4:37

2.2.14-5.0
UnRar 650M = 5:52, binchunk 300M = 2:25
UnRar+binchunk (at the same time) = ages...
(the mouse became too sluggish with 2.2.14 - probably because lack of
UDMA)

    IMHO we shouldn't choose right now the VM algorithm to use. Why not
leave it as a compiler option?
    I'm using ClassZone for my everyday work since Andrea's patch for
2.3.99-pre7 saved me from the flaws of VM 2.3.99-pre's. It's stable and
it's very good. We are very lucky to have 2 quality and mature VM
algorithms in Linux, I think we should keep both for a while and let
Riel and Andrea improve them.

Regards,

Miguel Freitas