XFree86 4.0.1 is good.

From: Chris Meadors (clubneon@hereintown.net)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 14:54:19 EST

Although I knew that the problems I was seeing with my Voodoo 3 with
XFree86 4.0.0 and the 2.3/4 kernels were almost certainly not the kernel's
problem, I now know for a fact that they weren't.

After building and installing XFree86 4.0.1 all the problems I had been
seeing went away.

These problems include (but probally aren't limited to, although these are
the ones I recall off hand):

Mouse cursor not showing in depths above 16 bit
Red and black boxes showing up on the text console
Corruption of the font on the text console
X dying when setting on the text console for a period of time

So no, I never thought that these were kernel problems, but a few people
had posted to the list mentioning things like this. So anyone else seeing
those problems try out 4.0.1 I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I am.

Chris

--
...and sometimes, late at night I get these twitches.  Like dead people get.
(Or, as I prefer to call them, perfect computer users)