Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: Juan J. Quintela (quintela@fi.udc.es)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 15:38:55 EST

>> My guess is you'll be digging yourself in deeper and deeper,
>> sprinkling random hacks in random places, as Linus put it.

paul> If this turns out to be true, I see it as pretty sad commentary on the
paul> state of the kernel. If its sprinkled all over with random hacks that
paul> cause it to avoid a return to user space for inordinate amounts of
paul> time, that doesn't seem to be a much better situation than the one in
paul> which there are a bunch of random hacks that seek to reverse it.

It is _worst_ using a bunch of random hacks to reverse the situation.
That is the know strategy of hide the head in the sand. If there is a
problem, fix the problem or let the problem there, but adding only
_workarounds_ is not the way to go IMHO.

Later, Juan.

are different -- Larry McVoy