Re: Low Latency Patch

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 23:14:21 EST

Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com> said:
> On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > So what? Just find out what distribution somebody is running, and check
> > with that. Sure, it's a bit harder to do, but if you get it right for
> > current Red Hat, Debian, and SuSE, you've got almost all.

> Perhaps you run all the stock binaries on these distributions, I do
> not.

I don't run stock binaries either, but most people do. Compilation flags
and most version skew won't ordinarily affect the placement of buffers in
stack frames anyway, so this at most buys you a tiny bit of extra security.
And adding a patch to the mainstream kernel so people like us are safe
(even if it was so in this case, which I very much doubt) while hurting
everybody else for nothing should not be an option. Ever.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616