Re: xfree and devel kernels > 2.3.99-pre6

From: Pete Toscano (ptoscano@netsol.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 08:35:23 EST

well, well, well. i was in the process of adding kdb to the kernel when
i got another lockup. _this_ time, it wasn't as strange as before when
all network activity died, the screen and keyboard were locked, but
console worked. this time, the attached oops was on the console screen
and the console was locked-up too. i've also attached the ksymoops
report. it looks like the second cpu locked up in asclock_applet (yes,
i'm running gnome with this applet running on the panel).

for review, my machine is a dual p3-600 with smp 2.4.0-test2. 512M ram.
asus p2b-d mobo. matrox g400 max video card. intel etherexpress pro
10/100 nic. sblive sound card.

if there are are any more details that i'm skipping, please let me know.
i'm very eager to help stomp this.

pete

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 22:07:09 -0400,
> Pete Toscano <ptoscano@netsol.com> wrote:
[snip]
> >when x locked up this time, i checked to make sure it was just as dead
> >as before... no keyboard response whatsoever (no capslock, no numlock,
> >no alt-sysreq) and no mouse movement. from another virtual console on
> >my console box, i tried pinging my locked up box. all pings died. i
> >couldn't ssh to it, _but_ i was able to log in from console and that
> >seemed to work just fine. killing all x-related processes didn't
> >release my keyboard and monitor though. i eventually had to reboot from
> >console.
[snip very good and useful kdb info -- thanks, keith]

pete

--
Pete Toscano      p:sigsegv@psinet.com        w:ptoscano@netsol.com
GPG fingerprint: D8F5 A087 9A4C 56BB 8F78  B29C 1FF0 1BA7 9008 2736