Re: console_lock too early in printk???

From: James Simmons (jsimmons@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 07:32:32 EST

> Is it currently possible to make a driver which leaves the accel engine
> do its work on the background so you don't have to wait by polling the
> hardware until the operation is done? With issues like this, it is still
> possible that bigger blits will cause relatively big latencies. Certainly
> not in the tens-of-seconds variety but unacceptable for the causes people
> keep arguing here about.

True. This is a more general problem that needs a more general solution.

> I haven't got a picture how multihead will be worked out? Will you have
> some per-head structure? Then it is natural to move most of the current
> global variables and locks in this structure.

For the console system yes. I also have rewritten the console code to
reentry since this is required in a multihead enivornment. At least I
hope. As for raw hardware device access like /dev/dsp and /dev/fb I
haven't figured away around that yet.

Q: Why did they deprecate a.out support in linux?
A: Because a nasty coff is bad for your elf.

James Simmons [jsimmons@linux-fbdev.org] ____/|
fbdev/console/gfx developer \ o.O|
http://www.linux-fbdev.org =(_)=