Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: Jussi Laako (jussi@jlaako.pp.fi)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 04:25:04 EST

> They usually hang waiting for their sync to the X server to complete.
> During that delay the application doesn't do anything else (ie. no I/O
> read from disk or written to audio device).

That happens also with applications without any X connection or with
completely separate threads to do audio work. Large blits can take long time
to complete and eat full bus bandwidth all that time.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at: ldap://certserver.pgp.com, http://keys.pgp.com:11371