Re: a joint letter on low latency and Linux

From: yodaiken@fsmlabs.com
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 20:26:25 EST

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 09:02:44PM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> No dispute here. That wasn't my point. I was trying to point out that
> contrary to some of the claims here, it seems possible to me to solve
> this without creating an RTOS. I don't think anybody would consider
> IRIX an RTOS, but my understanding is that it can offer scheduling

IRIX has tried to put hard realtime into the kernel and has suffered for
it.

> The other notable player in all this, of course, is
> MontaVista. However, since they don't seem terribly concerned about
> getting their work into the mainstream kernel, its not clear that its
> that relevant to the problem at hand.

If MontaVista or other players want to maintain good latency versions
of the scheduler, then that's only a good thing and their sucesses and
failures can help move the main kernel development forwarwd.

Anyways, I've said my piece, perhaps too many times, and I'll shut up
and write some code.