Re: UDMA(33)/(66) or What the heck is going on?

From: Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 13:08:27 EST

 Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> responded:

> Andre,
>
> while we really adore what you did for IDE support and IDE DMA on Linux,
> could you please just state in some simple lines,

        Cheers,

        Andre Hedrick
        The Linux ATA/IDE guy

        PS: Thanks for the kick in the head, well arse!

The problem of coders (techies in general) not being good at documenting
their own work is presumably well known. If not, RTFM for examples. The
problem is exacerbated by the simple fact that many of the best
developers have english as a second (or third) language, but most of the
problem stems from the fact that the explanation seems "obvious" to the
coder.

I would like to suggest a linux-kernel-documentation list that writers
could subscribe to. Developers would submit their needs for
clarification to this list, possibly with a copy or notes in their
native tongue. Writers would request clarification where necessary and
write a clean explanation to go into linux/Documentation.

Writers could start by simply reading linux/Documentation and submitting
patches.

Garst