RE: Ke: Symbols match 2.2 <-> 2.4

From: pavel-velo@bug.ucw.cz
Date: Tue Jan 02 1996 - 07:52:03 EST

>> Basically avoid products with that kind of modem.
>
>I agree, but it gets more and more difficult because these modems are
>really cheap and the vendors can add modem functionality almost for
>free. (Nowadays, the main CPU almost always has some free cycles to
>handle the signalprocessing needed for the modem)
>
>I don't think that the signalprocessing algorithms for the modem stuff
>are still so confidential. It would be definitely less work for lucent
>if they would release that code and everyone could compile it for their
>actual kernel.

If algorithms are not confidental anymore, just go and write generic linmodem driver. Current opensouced driver can happily do 300bps over lucent winmodem which proves hardware driver is okay. Just someone has to debug v.34 in linmodem. Oh, and write echo cancellor.

                                                        Pavel
Ps: LOOK at linmodems.org, theres opensourced lucent driver out there.