Network adapter (was Re: [patch-2.4.0-test2])

From: Philippe Strauss (philou@philou.ch)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 06:06:50 EST

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 04:27:24PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Except when you cannot align (like with Tulips that always DMA to a 4 byte
> > aligned address). With the 14 byte Ethernet header this results in IP
> > and TCP misaligned.
>
> If you combine poorly compatible hardware bad things happen. That isnt going
> to change. Many decent ethernet cards can do sensible alignment. Pick a card
> or cpu that can and life is happy.

That's the kind of information I like to get, people coding drivers learn
such an lot of interesting information about the chip they're working on,

what are some recommended network adapter chip for stability and
perf. purpose (like the one you'll plug in a high-perf linux router for
example)?
(assuming I'm using a descent mobo, with switched PCI busses..., I'm
using some DE500 right now, fully satisfied with stability using de4x5).

Regards.

> -

Philippe Strauss, Telecom Consulting
email: <philou@philou.ch>

Be Here Now. If you do not live in the future, there is nothing to fear. If you do not live in the past, there is nothing to regret. --