Re: I really hate to do this...

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 23:11:09 EST

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Nasa wrote:

> Hi agian,
>
> I have written to this group a couple of time concerning my system do a lot of strange
> crashing. The replies I have gotten back have been helpful and have tried to point the blame
> at either XFree86 4.0 or maybe a hardware problem. Both of these seemed like likely causes
> and because I could not identify anything specific as to when or what would cause a crash, I let it
> be and continued to watch these crashes to see if anything turned up. In addition I ran quite a few
> diagositc test on the hardware (using harddrive manufactor testing software, wintune98, passmark-burnin
> test, etc. And could not find any problems with the hardware -- well, that's not totally true, but I will get
> there).
>
> What has prompted me to write again (and hopefully not be thought to much of a fool) is that I have seen a
> series of kernel panic's of which I actually saw some output (most of the time the system just locks-up and I don't get anything). In three diffrernt cases I got the following error prior to a kernel panic
>
> mapaddr 0x74c881d4 not valid at usb-ohci.c:1397
>
> The address is the only thing that would change between the 3 cases. The things I was doing when I got this message - running memtest (checking out the memory), compiling the kernel (2.4.0-test1), and booting up the
> new kernel.
>
> Now I realize that recreating these panic's would be nearly impossible - it does seem to point to something
> in the kernel being wrong. BTW - in all three instances I was running without XFree.
>
> If I need to add anything or try anything to help solve this problem, please don't hesitate to ask.

I'd suggest snagging kdb (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb), enable either
serial or lp console and try to reproduce panic and/or lockup. Even if
you're in X and can't see console output, it will log to your serial/lp
console if the kernel is working at all. At lockup time, poke the pause
key and then 'bt'.. that should produce a trace showing where the kernel
is hung. (you can do much more with it.. see the docs and experiment)

        -Mike