Re: IMMUTABLE and APPEND-ONLY rationales

From: Derek Martin (derek@cerberus.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 12:19:30 EST

Today, Simon Richter gleaned this insight:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, David Ford wrote:
>
> > > Immutable means NOBODY can do anything bad with it, not even root. The
> > > last thing I want is users setting immutable flags on my system.
>
> > As root you are free to remove flags with chattr regardless of who set them.
>
> Not without shutting down the machine.
>
> > Permissions don't stop root from deleting a file in one step slip-ups.
>
> rm -r asks. rm -rf doesn't. Just as it should be.

No it doesn't. rm -ri asks. So if that's the behavior you're getting,
you have rm aliased to rm -i in your login files somewhere. You're
probably running redhat.

The first thing most real sysadmins do is remove this brain damage from
root's .bashrc file, because it is annoying and gets you in the habit of
using rm -rf, which is not necessarily desireable. YOU should alias rm or
use the -i option, when and if you think you need it.

> > Permissions don't stop dhcpcd from screwing with your /etc/resolv.conf
> > (client that doesn't support the option for NOT messing with it) or similar
> > situations.
>
> I don't think file flags are the proper way to deal with broken software.

The proper way to fix broken software is to fix it. But if you're not a C
coder, you have to wait for someone else to do it, and find some
workaround in the mean time. Setting the immutable bit is one such valid
workaround.

--
PGP/GPG Public key at http://cerberus.ne.mediaone.net/~derek/pubkey.txt