Re: weird CONFIG_PROFILE

From: Gael Queri (gqueri@mail.dotcom.fr)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 17:10:34 EST

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 10:51:11AM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 02:39:13PM +0200, Gael Queri wrote:
>
> > It seems that there are some things remaining from the old CONFIG_PROFILE
> > option which disappeared sometimes in 2.1: a grep in linux-2.4.0-test1-ac4
> > gives
> >
> > arch/mips/kernel/time.c:#ifdef CONFIG_PROFILE
> > arch/s390/config.in:bool 'Kernel profiling support' CONFIG_PROFILE
> > arch/s390/config.in:if [ "$CONFIG_PROFILE" = "y" ]; then
> > arch/s390/config.in: int ' Profile shift count' CONFIG_PROFILE_SHIFT 2
> > arch/s390/defconfig:# CONFIG_PROFILE is not set
> >

> > so CONFIG_PROFILE is only defined for s390 and it is used only
> > in mips...
>
> Kernel profiling used to be a compile time option but is now always in.

OK, and Alan removed it from the s390 config.in but the
code in arch/mips/kernel/time.c is never used because CONFIG_PROFILE
isn't defined anywhere.

So has this code any importance for profiling? As it is in
an inline function which seems to be often called it seems to
impact performance so shouldn't CONFIG_PROFILE be restored for
mips?

If the function became useless, we should add a comment before
to state that it is historical legacy for stupid people who
bother to understand it like me :-)

        regards, gael