Re: Events

From: Gyorgy Molnar (yuri@powercom.com.sg)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 16:16:54 EST

Thank you to taking your time to answer my question.

I think I owe you for some explanation why I want to use so
many events.

Our system is an fully programabel IVR sysem, thelphony
switch with own language, database support, external
interface for different kind of servers; like TextToSpeech,
ASR, monitor, etc.

I'm very happy Linux and I don't want to work on NT anymore,
but I cannot do that. To find a drivers for the supported
hardware is a kind of hard. I'm sure it's going to change in
the future, but ...

Most of the events we have to use is coming from the
drivers; connect, disconnect, DTMF detected, save the date,
refresh the buffer, etc. They are file descriptors. In the
windows version we also use a some of them for our thread
manager class. We are developed a very good one with static
and dynamic thread. (To create some threads under Nt are not
very stable (specially in the same time), due we cannot
control our callers, we had to find a stable way to work
with Nt.)

We could redesign a the whole program to make it very
familiar with Linux, but at the moment we need to make a
kind of hybrid program for both Nt and Linux.

So we need a wait function witch can wait for both async
file io and events. Specially the poll looks very good, adn
I thought the easiest way for us to make events with file
descriptor.

Our major harware manufacturer parner (Aculab) is very open,
they even ready to talk about the drivers and change it if
we can find very handy way for us.

The real time signal is very good idea for us, but as Andi
Kleen mentioned it is not really stable expect for network
fds.

Take care,

Yuri