owner field in `struct fs'

From: Rusty Russell (rusty@linuxcare.com.au)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 23:26:15 EST

Hi Al,

        Looking at recent `struct fs' addition of owner field for
explicit module support, I'm wondering what's wrong with simply
controlling the module count in the module's open()/release()
functions in these cases?

        There have been recent discussions on netdev about the more
general modules race problems on the netdev list, and I believe that
the solutions there will also solve any races with this approach for
`struct fs' (but file ops aren't my area, so I might have missed
something). I'm sure you can clear this up with a brief
explanation...

        I'm prepared to go to a lot of effort to avoid adding a
`struct module *' field to every registerable object in the kernel, if
at all possible.

Thanks!
Rusty.

--