bottom halves, task queues, tasklets and softirqs

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 06:31:09 EST

Hi guys,

It is probably a silly question - but is there any place that spells out
all the assumptions (like "can only run one instance of itself at a
time" or "can block" or "cannot block" or "invoked on each
schedule" etc.) about:

a) bottom halves

b) task queues

c) softirqs

d) tasklets

Yes, it can be done by reading the code slowly but if there are answers
already written down somewhere I would like to know.

I see that not many places currently use tasklets so it would be nice to
have someone write some docs on them (e.g. to understand if we need to
convert other drivers from using old stuff to these new "tasklets" and
"softirqs")

Thanks,
Tigran