Re: loop device deadlocks

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 10:44:31 EST

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Steve Dodd wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 08:33:03AM +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> > I did a quick check the other day, and the thing didn't blow up in my face.
> > That symptom was 'new' and seems to be gone. I also didn't hit the lockup.
> > The only thing I saw was buffers being trashed under memory pressure..
> > make bzImage worked fine, but make -jN bzImage didn't. I only did a very
> > quick status check though. (time time time)
>
> I'm just reproducing the lock up I detailed last time, and I remembered that
> I also saw these messages on the console before the deadlock:

(certainly not disputing that lockup still happens even with no-plug..
just didn't last time checked here [block dev mount btw])

> end_request: I/O error, dev 07:00 (loop), sector 3274
> end_request: I/O error, dev 07:00 (loop), sector 3276
> end_request: I/O error, dev 07:00 (loop), sector 3278
> [..]

Yes.. these are very familiar. I think you'll find that these happen only
when you get too many dirty buffers built up and the system starts trying
to flush [low on memory] dirty buffers. I still think that it's reentering
to service the same blocks it's already trying to service, but am not sure
about that.

> Not entirely sure what's going on here.. I'll merge in the test1 -> ac19

Me too :)

> changes later and see what happens.

(I hope you figure the darn thing out)

        -Mike