Re: Floppy handling and removable media in general

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 23:40:45 EST

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> The last thing to be done before turning off the floppy motor
> should be marking the filesystem clean. The filesystems need

It's a fscking bullshit and even you should know better - *driver* *has*
*no* *business* *touching* *fs* *state*. Sheesh...

> > Uh? We may be writing metadata and current process may have
> > nothing to the situation - it just happened to apply memory
> > pressure and trigger icache flush.
>
> I think "flush" is indeed the right word here.

OK, Albert, considering that it is you... Look: we have dirty inode. We
start the icache flush. Buffer with relevant part of inode table is
modified and marked dirty. It is sent to driver. At that point disk is
taken away.

> > mountpoint? What about the stuff under it?
>
> As long as the kernel can recover, the answer matters little.
> The process can be given a current directory in some black hole
> or given invisible parent directories with only ".." in them.
> Files can return IO errors.
>
> This is really just a forced umount.

... which happens to be a thing we don't support. Clean patches are
welcome.