Re: modprobe parport_pc freezes machine in 2.2.16

From: Peter Bornemann (eduard.epi@t-online.de)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 18:24:04 EST

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 08:17:33PM +0200, Peter Bornemann wrote:
>
> > I can insmod parport without any trouble, but not parport_pc. Insmoding
> > lp or parport_probe also freezes the system, of course. The only
> > special and possibly related thing in my configuration is a PCI-card
> > with a second parallel port on it. Both serial ports are disabled btw.
>
> What make and model is it? Can you try taking it out to see if that
> stops the problem?
>
> Did this behaviour start with 2.2.16?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim.
> */

cat /proc/pci gives (in 2.4.0-test1-ac19):
  Bus 0, device 13, function 0:
    Parallel controller: PCI device 1409:7268 (Timedia Technology Co Ltd) (rev 1).
      IRQ 3.
      I/O at 0x9000 [0x9007].
      I/O at 0x8800 [0x8807].

Parport is set up as follows (from dmesg):
0x378: FIFO is 16 bytes
0x378: writeIntrThreshold is 8
0x378: readIntrThreshold is 8
0x378: PWord is 8 bits
0x378: Interrupts are ISA-Pulses
0x378: possible IRQ conflict!
0x378: ECP port cfgA=0x10 cfgB=0x00
0x378: ECP settings irq=<none or set by other means> dma=<none or set by other means>
0x378: CTR: wrote 0x0c, read 0x0b
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7, using FIFO [PCSPP,TRISTATE,ECP]
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
parport1: PC-style at 0x9000 [PCSPP,EPP]
parport1: cpp_mux: aa55f00f52ad51(80)
parport1: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(80)
parport1: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(80)
parport1: cpp_mux: aa55f00f52ad51(80)
parport1: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(38)
parport1: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(38)
lp1: using parport1 (polling).

The line "0x378: possible IRQ conflict!" is a little funny. Parport0 has
got IRQ 7 all for himself.

IRQ 3 is not used, for it is shared with the network card (A Realtek
rtl8193). The parport-card is labeled as IOFFLEX-1CP/2CP Single/Dual
ECP/EPP/SPP Parallel Port. I have got the single version.

The problem shows also in 2.2.17-pre1 and was certainly not present
in 2.2.15. I cannot say for sure, wether it happenden already in the
pre-16 series. I have used them for only very short time (holidays)
and don't really know, wether I printed with any of them.

I have now compiled 2.2.17-pre2 with parport and everything in the
kernel, and this works now for me.

Next I will try the same kernel again with modules. Fortunately I have
partially reiserfs, so fscking takes not so awful long. After that I
will report again.

Peter B