Re: [RFC] fhandle implementation.

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 18:41:28 EST

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> Read the NFSv4 draft specs. Even Sun now acknowledges that such
> behaviour may exist. Linux is not the only system that refuses to
> recognize the inode as the second coming.
>
> While I'd be the first person to welcome a file handle that was not
> directory specific (makes inode + dentry revalidation on the client 10
> times easier) I must admit that there is a point here:
> Given the number of Linux newbies who create 1 huge partition on their
> single IDE drive and then plonk their entire system on it, I think we
> should at least try to make it difficult for outsiders to write to
> /etc/passwd. After all it's not more than a week since we discovered
> another hole (setuid+capabilities) due to leaving to much up to the
> user...

Let me get it straight - you are talking about dumb users who
        1) do r/w NFS exports on potentially hostile network
        2) don't squash root or have world-writable /etc/passwd.
And I thought that I was cynical... Normally these newbies have Linux on
their boxen at home, so it's hardly an issue. If they are pulling
unauthorised stuff like that in the $ORKPLACE - well, YMMV, but I would
break their fingers for such attempts. Bone after bone. Slowly. With
rubber mallet. And if they are admins - sorry, with that level of
cluelessness NFS will be the least of their problems.

        IOW, what additional security does it buy you? If you don't have
root (preferably all low UIDs/GIDs) squashed - that's it. Ditto for
having world-writable stuff. All problems with filling the filesystem
are still there. Namespace modifications (creation/removal/renaming
of any objects outside of the subtree) are impossible. Access to existing
files is possible if you have them writable for non-squashed UID, which is
normally an indication of bad problems anyway - when was the last time
you've seen quota on / for bin?