Re: New slab allocation (pre-alpha)

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 11:08:30 EST

Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> > The new design supports subcaches. Each cache has subcaches
> > for the type of memory it supports. Currently, only two types
> > of memory are supported; NORMAL and DMA.
> > A better name might be zone-caches - matching the 2.4.x
> > page types.
>
> So, what about a sound card that can only access the first 256 MB?
> That isn't the 16 MB limit, and it isn't the 4 GB limit either.
> Must we have a new memory type code for each address bit?

Sticking to the 16MB limit will be good enough for that sound card.
You don't need a lot of zones for these special cases.

However, you could take it all the way: run the policies as if there was
a zone for every power of two size. You may not need explicit zone
structures to do this efficiently.

In effect, that means within the 16MB-4GB zone, you still prefer to
allocate at higher addresses than low ones.

enjoy,
-- Jamie