Re: Code and Community (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Colin McCormack (colin@field.medicine.adelaide.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 09:20:25 EST

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Colin McCormack wrote:
> > > Chip goes on:
> > > Open source development is a cooperative venture. It is therefore
> > > dangerous to accept a person's contributions without also considering
> > > the eventual costs of rewarding him and keeping him hanging around.
> >
> > > 'What does it benefit a [project] to gain [world domination],
> > > but lose [its own sense of community]?'
> >
> > Hmmm. A biblical reference. Very persuasive if you happen to belong to a
> > particular culture. You can almost spot the version of the bible with which
> > Chip's familiar. It's not KJV, but it's derived from it. Some kind of New
> > English thing, I think.
>
> most of us have our eyes closed and ears shut when we speak thus (on both
> sides). Let us therefore open our eyes and behold that we work towards one
> goal, to wit, the triumph of reason (Linus) and freedom (Linux) over the
> powers of ignorance (Bill Gates) and slavery (Windows).

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

> If I would say "let us love one another as he first loved us" would you
> also label me as having very narrow/culture-specific ideals (and perhaps
> even misdetect the Bible translation I use)?

No, I think I'd say this to you: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a
Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed
about himself: `God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers,
evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week
and give a tenth of all I get.'"

> Even so, let the brotherly
> love continue and the kernel development prosper, something which is
> impossible in the enemy camp, where the treasured things wax old and moth
> corrupteth and thief approacheth.

Heh. For my money, you're laying it on a bit thick. How about: Do what thou Wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Colin.