Re: Floppy handling

From: Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.org)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 11:08:32 EST

> What is needed is a program which when called will dd the image of the
> floppy just inserted into a file, in some specified location, perhaps
> /var/floppy-`date +%s`, for example.

    The problem is that if you have to edit a 2k file, it's going to take
    five minutes as opposed to 23 seconds.

With the method he literally suggested, which reads the floppy
sequentially, you are right. On the other hand, what if the floppy
driver had a low-priority activity of reading all the other blocks
whenever it has no other work to do? It could have the same result
while avoiding that particular problem.

However, I think that it would be annoying to have the floppy keep
spinning for 5 minutes--especially if all you wanted to do was to read
one short file and then take it out again.