Re: getrusage and ACURATE microsecond timing

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 05:35:13 EST

> can anyone tell me if there is a patch available that adds microsecond
> resolution to getrusage AND fixes the sloppy tick counting in the kernel. As

getrusage is approximate. It always has been, and given the fact its designed
not to increase the load on the machine and interfere with doign real work
probably will remain so.

Having said that doing syscall entry-exit based rusage timing might end up
needed for ports where we dont run a continual timer tick so your search
for accuracy might match other needs.

I would guess you would need to use rdtsc at syscall entry/exit anyway

Alan