Re: [Q] bzip instead of gzip compression in rd/bootup?

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 12:50:32 EST

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Ph. Marek wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Looking through the kernel sources I found (in drivers/block/rd.c) that currently only gzip is supported for the compressed ram fs.
>
> Is there any intend to change/extend that to bzip2? for use in floppy boot disks with attached compressed rd it would be better.
>
> And, 2nd part: is it possible to get the kernel bzip2 compressed?? could save some space too.
>

> as there are some discussions about leaving zImage and moving to bzImage this could be a chance to change that too.
>

> regards,
>
> phil

I thought this was an FAQ and the correct answer was - bzip2 (and other
highly complex compression algorithms, e.g. stochastical ones) are so
massive (look at ps aux while running tar xIf linux.tar.bz2) that
incorporating them in the kernel is not worth the savings you gain
compared to gzip -9.

Regards,
Tigran