Reserving memory

From: dstein@phoenixcontact.com
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 02:47:23 EST

Hi

I am new to the list and first of all I have to say sorry for posting in HTML...
I can't switch my mailbrowser to HTML yet, but will change this as soon as
possible.

I have got following question:

We have Oracle database running on a SMP-machine and we want to reserve a
certain amount of memory for the database. The machine has got 1 GB RAM and we
want to reserve at about 800 MB for the database itself.
I have read about SHMMAX value and changed this several times, building new
kernels, rebooting and so on. On the database side you have the possibility to
"grab" for a certain amount of memory and we found out, that there is a limit
near 500 MB, independent on SHMMAX.
How can I reserve memory for the database - let's say 768 MB - so that any other
process could not take more than 232 MB of memory (the rest of the 1 GB)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dietmar