xaudio problem not caused by netscape

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 16:39:15 EST

I posted a mail about this before but it doesn't seem to have made it.

J. Robert Von Behr thought that my problem with xaudio squealing was
caused by excessive cpu usage by netscape.

It's not netscape, and it doesn't seem to be anyone's excessive CPU
consumption.

I can get the xaudio squealing to occur when I'm running X with nothing
particularly running but a terminal window with top in it, and the load
average will be about 0.05.

xaudio will be consuming typically 3% of the CPU. Then sometimes I see
it jump up, sometimes I don't, and then it drops to near 0% of the CPU.
Right when it drops the squealing happens.

Activating a window or dragging one around on the screen will restore
the mp3 audio playback.

What I think is happening is xaudio can't get some resource from the
kernel and it's just stuck. Screwing around with the windows unsticks
this.

Could this be related to the poor compile performance someone reported
earlier, where sometimes his kernel compiles will just pause for a few
seconds with no other activity on the system? That was thought to be a
virtual memory problem.

Mike

--
Michael D. Crawford