Re: It's time to get rid of zImage

From: Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 14:46:16 EST

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
> Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> > >
> > > I have been working on that... however, that's a much bigger step, and I
> > > don't think it's time for that yet.
> > >
> > > vmlinux (.gz) in the current form would not be appropriate for booting
> > > on i386 though. The kernel needs a "setup" that runs in 16-bit real
> > > mode.
> >
> > What about EFI? Is it worth it to do this when it looks like people are
> > moving to more sophisticated boot shell?
>
> Hah. I'll believe it when I see it.

FWIW, all of the ia64 machines I've seen use EFI for both 64bit and
32bit OS'. Since most of the code is written in C, it wouldn't surprise
me if we start seeing it appear on 32bit machines soon.

We, the ia64 development team, wrote an ELF loader for EFI. I've taken
the original rudimentary version and extended it, adding more features,
fixed bugs, etc. It's called ELI and can be found at eli.sourceforge.net.

We intend to make it 32bit clean for 32bit OS' as well.

Perhaps when 2.5 (and thusly 2.6) rolls around we may see 32bit machines
using EFI?

JE