Re: Floppy Handling

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 15:18:56 EST

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Jacques Richer wrote:

> Not to open a can of worms, but this looks like a job for a user mode
> filesystem. I realize that there aren't any hooks for this in the
> existing kernel, but it may be more productive to write these hooks,
> and implement the code as a daemon than it would be to try to shoehorn
> this thing into the kernel.

I'd tend to agree here, I think - except for one aspect:

I've been wanting similar functionality for a while for CD ROMs - when you
insert a CD ROM, it would be cached into VM. If you have enough swap space
free, after the first run through of a CD, the whole thing can be accessed
at hard drive speeds. The problem is, we'd need some way to free up the
cache as needed, which would probably be rather tricky.

Has anyone else looked into anything similar?

James.