Re: Rage Pro LT Meltdown with Mach 64 framebuffer driver

From: goingware.com (crawford@dragnet.seagull.net)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 22:40:47 EST

> Hmm. Perhaps unsupported DAC. You're booting 640x480-60, right? It very
> may be that the code was generated in blind faith (read: no hardware
> available to test on ).

I guess when the machine comes up and it's using text mode in the BIOS calls
it is 640 x 480-60.

One important thing to note about the video on this thing (and I guess many
laptop video chips) is that when it's set to anything but 1024 by 768 it
needs to have some further setting which causes it to emulate a lower
resolution by blending the pixels together. I think that is handled in the
video chip but is not automatically set when a lower resolution is set.

I saw somewhat similar problems both with the Mach64 server that came with
slackware 4 (sorry I don't remember the version but could look it up) and when
I wedged NT onto the thing. NT is (ahem) "unsupported" on this machine and
was the most accursedly difficult thing to get working. NT would run OK
I think with its safe mode driver but I noticed that during shutdown the
video would get all wonky until I found a driver off of some website somewhere
and stuck it in.

I'm using GRUB as a boot manager (works great!) and here is the kernel
command line I use:

kernel /ac18 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 read-only

The slackware installer stuck a commented-off table of "vga=" values in my
lilo.conf file that indicates vga=791 means 1027 by 768 by 32k (what's the
32k?) should I be using a "vga=" value at all?

Ah the 32k is the number of colors. Well I get it pays to RTFM.

Ah I think I was wrong to be using vga= to set my mode at all, I should use
modedb. Damn.

OK I'll let you know in a few minutes I'm going to try:

video=atyfb:1024x768-32@70

I've found the 70 hz refresh will work OK, but interestingly when I booted
up the BeOS the first time, the video worked well and was at some really weird
frequency like 49.1 hz. I think I set the X server to that when I was using
the Mach64 X server. But I have found other refresh rates to work.

So maybe this is just a little pilot error...

but I think my xaudio beeping thing is a real bug!

Mike
crawford@goingware.com