Deadlock (Was: psaux device regression in 2.2.16)

From: Markus Gutschke (markus@gutschke.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 22:41:13 EST

> 2.2.16->2.2.15 and the mouse got back to a working state. Then the
> definitive proof: I remade 2.2.16 but reversed the pc-keyb.c part of
> the patch. Now I have a fully working 2.2.16 kernel; therefore, at
> least a suggestion to reverse the patch for people with sudden mouse
> problems on upgrade to 2.2.16, and then a call for s/o understanding
> what happens in that dreaded keyboard controller!

While I haven't had the time to back out the changes to the psaux
code just yet, I can confirm that 2.2.16 definitly broke handling of
the PS/2 code. On my SMP Pentium III, 2.2.16 deadlocks after a few
hours. This always seems to be correlated to me moving the mouse
pointer (I have a Logitech trackball). When the machine locks, it
does not respond to any keystrokes (e.g. SAK), I cannot ping it any
more, and the last sound sample played repeats indefinitly. A hard
reboot is in order. So, this looks very much as if it is hung with
interrupts disabled. Reverting to 2.2.15 seems to fix the problem.
This is the first time in a long while that a production kernel has
crashed or deadlocked for me (other than when I am experimenting with
new device drivers or writing my own kernel level code).

Please CC me on reponses, as I read LK through the mailing list
archives on the web and I do not see responses immediately. (I believe
Lorenzo asked for the same thing).

Markus

--
Markus Gutschke                                Resonate, Inc.
3637 Fillmore Street #106                      385 Moffett Park Drive