RE: ide performance limits

From: Adam Radford (aradford@3WARE.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 19:58:25 EST

Scsi disks, IDE disks, and MD (software raid) all are block devices, and as
such
fill out a struct file_operations before they call register_blkdev().

ide.c, md.c, and sd.c all register with block_read() and block_write()
functions
for the read and write fields in their file_operations struct.

block_read() and block_write() are in fs/block_dev.c

In block_read(), I see : copy_to_user(buf,offset+(*bhe)->b_data,chars);
In block_write(), I see : copy_from_user(p,buf, chars);

I don't think you've found an 'ide bottleneck'. Maybe you should run
'memperf' with mode 2 (load and copy test) and see what it gets on that
particular machine.

--
Adam Radford
Software Engineer

/* snip */ > bug1 wrote: > > > With the tests below i cant get more than total read speed of 30MB/s > > irrespective of how many drives i read from in parallel, but by using > > hdparm -T simultaneously on two seperate drives i could could get > > 45MB/s, which would indicate an ide bottleneck of 90MB/s. > > /* snip */