Re: [patch] improve streaming I/O [bug in shrink_mmap()]

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 19:29:12 EST

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>
>> If Rik or Juan can assure me that streaming I/O performance is a
>> high priority for them, I might feel better, but I see more
>> concern about boundary cases caused by quite different
>> application patterns.
>
>Before I start hacking on this, could you tell me if 2.4.0-ac17+
>gives you the performance you want?
>
>(or at least, if it reaches 80% of 2.3.51 performance, the rest
                                    ^^^^^^
>seems related to the new elevator code and not to MM)

In general if you have any performance problem with the elevator:

1) use elvtune -b 128
2) increase read and write latency to big number like 100000

and let me and Jens know.

However IMHO the I/O performance issues are not related to the elevator.
There may be a performance drop due the I/O scheduler (but that's the
latency fix and we wanted it also in 2.2.x) but that shouldn't be a major
performance issue and for sure it can't change since 2.3.99-pre1. Latest
changes in the elevator happened in 2.3.99-pre1. And 2.3.51 had a much
worse elevator than what we have in the latest kernels. 2.3.51 was just
with the I/O scheduler included (but as said a for sure worse one).

So I'd appreciate if you could also explain which are the reasons that
makes you to think the elevator is the cause of the bad I/O performance
(and not the latest VM stuff).

Andrea

PS. I also have numbers using reiserf+classzone on ac7 and they are fine
as far I can tell (and nothing in the elevator is been changed for such
bench as far I can tell).