[2.4.0test1-ac17] DMA Error

From: Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 17:36:55 EST

I just upgraded from 2.4.0-ac7+classzone to -ac17, and
I've noticed a spurious problem.

It seems to be able to occur at any time, but by playing
audio (mp3's, mikmod) I can get it to occur much more
frequently (every few minutes) -- it's possibly load
related.

What'll happen is audio will stop for about a second.
The load meter in X spikes, and the mouse freezes (I use
gpm w/ repeater option, as the ps2 driver doesnt seem to
like my mouse).

Looking in the logs, I get this:

Jun 14 09:58:47 darkstar kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config
error?
Jun 14 09:58:55 darkstar last message repeated 3 times
Jun 14 10:00:47 darkstar kernel: Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config
error?

This did not occur in my previous kernel.

My sound card is a SB16 (ISA, non-PnP) set to use DMA 1, and 5.
I also have a Hayes ESP serial port that uses DMA 3. I have an
older motherboard (w/ RZ1000), and it doesnt use DMA.

As far as I can tell, there are no IRQ conflicts. SB16 uses IRQ 5,
and the ESP uses IRQ 3. I've disabled the built in serial ports in
the BIOS.

Otherwise, audio plays fine (i.e. cleanly, w/o skipping).

I have seen this little spike while NOT playing audio -- but in
that case, no error appeared in the logs.

--
Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com