Re: Stability (2.2.14/15/16/17pre1)

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 13:56:26 EST

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

>but since dozens of people complained about 2.2.15 VM performance
>I guess things didn't exactly work out as expected...

If an innocent task was getting the trashing mem bit set it could decrease
interactive performance, I know. But how can it hurt stability?

>Indeed. It _did_ get killed, however, because try_to_free_pages()
>in 2.2 can sometimes fail. By starting to call try_to_free_pages()

It was the flushcount in vmscan.c or the free_before_allocate that can
have made differences. I think the vmscan.c changes are very right. The
free_before_allocate just avoids the machine to runs too near to the min
limit but it shouldn't be necessary and I'm going to drop it. If the
freepages.min limit was too low just increase it ;)

Andrea