Re: Linux 2.2.17pre1

From: Marc Mutz (Marc@Mutz.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 11:05:28 EST

Paul Jakma wrote:

<snip>

> who cares if we break compatibility with distribution tools?[1]
> Anyone who gives a toss about NFS is already running with the
> patches. (and if they're not then they're cursing linux nfs
> anyway...)

<snip>

That is not true. Look back at the 2.2.12-pre patches and the reason why
raid-0.90 vanished again (being introduced in 2.2.12-preX) in 2.2.12.
One argument for stuffing it in then was "all people doing serious raid
are already patching 0.90 in". Now look at the errata for 2.2.16. What?
fix md? Why? everone is using new raid, no? NO.

I was one of those poor people that din't realize that there was a raid
patch around and made an old style raid set. The update was horror and
now that I use new raid and have to patch in raid-0145 for every new
kernel version (mostly with conflicts, too), I still say: Leave it
_out_. Thou shalt not change userspace in stable series. The same goes
for everything else.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>        http://marc.mutz.com/Encryption-HOWTO/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)