Re: It's time to get rid of zImage

From: Chris Noe (cnoe@northlink.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 23:49:15 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
[...]
> I don't know of any boxes that still won't boot bzImage... if there are
> any, I'd like to know about them so we can get it fixed.
>
> I would like to suggest making zImage officially deprecated (preferrably
> including some echo statement in the Makefile), but not removed, in 2.4,
> and then nuked completely in 2.5.
[...]

I'll go for that. Deprecate it now, remove it in 2.5 entirely (unless
someone says to l-k "ack, I *need* zImage"). At some point in 2.5, if not
right away, I say we should go ahead and make zImage (no pun intended)
effectively do all the bzImage stuff, but just not make the fact that it
is a bzImage known (ie there's only one target in the makefile, zImage,
which does all the stuff that bzImage does atm). Cosmetic, but seemingly
the more logical way to do it.

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)