Re: WWW Crash

From: Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 22:14:12 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Anton Blanchard wrote:

> > I experienced another of the mystery weird "lockups" of our web server
> > today, 4 CPU Ross RTK-625 Hypersparc SS-10 w/ 384MB RAM.
>
> I am working to get 2.4 stable for sparc32. There are too many things that
> need to be fixed in 2.2 (that I am in the process of fixing for 2.4). That
> being said, I get triple digit uptimes on my servers.
>
> In 2.4 we no longer allocate pagetables out of cached RAM, this may help on
> the hypersparc.
>
> Cheers,
> Anton

     In it's current state, 2.4.0-test1 won't even complete a boot on an SS-10
here with quad Hypersparc.

     I tried to boot our main web server on it tonight.

     Strangely, it makes it through the actual kernel boot but goes apeshit
when it starts running init scripts, and it doesn't blow up the same way
consistantly. Sometimes it outputs the init scripts to the console, sometimes
it complains about random syntax errors in the scripts (which all work find
under 2.2.x) and sometimes it silently fails and just doesn't do things, like
mount file systems, enable the interface, start named and apache, etc.

     Does 2.4 require a change to init?